About Waukegan High School
Waukegan High School is a four-year comprehensive high school that provides students with opportunities to advance their academic careers and gain an understanding of diverse cultures.
Waukegan High School History
Waukegan High School was established in 1870 (originally named Central High School). The original building burned down in 1889 and was rebuilt and occupied with students in January 1890. By 1908, the school was so crowded the township built a new building that opened in September 1910, located on the corner of Jackson and Glen Rock. This building is currently home to the district’s Alternative / Optional Education Center.
In 1921, freshmen and vocational students moved to the newly built Junior Building at Washington and Jackson (currently known as Washington Campus). Waukegan broke ground for the new West Campus (currently known as Brookside Campus) for freshmen and sophomores in 1957. They occupied the building from 1960 until 1975 when the school split into two separate high schools.
Waukegan West Raiders and Waukegan East Bulldogs stayed this way until the fall of 1990 when the two schools’ sports programs were combined. (Each school held its own graduation for the class of 1991.) In the fall of 1991, the schools recombined into a single high school, which was housed at the newly updated West Campus. Waukegan High School became the Bulldogs again, but this time added an eye patch to commemorate the Raiders and school colors of purple, green, and gold.
In the fall of 2000, Washington Campus was reopened as the Ninth Grade Center, and Brookside Campus was known as the Upper Grade Center. In 2008, the campuses were renamed to Brookside and Washington as part of the transition to Smaller Learning Communities.